April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

Posted in HCG, Weight Loss at 9:19 am by Dr Michelle Torrance ND, LAc

Holidays, and the celebratory eating that goes with them, can be difficult to navigate.

What to do?

You have three options when you are on plan to handle a holiday feast successfully, and here they are:

1. Stay on plan

Tough though this is, it is the most efficient way to maintain your weight-loss momentum. Now this doesn’t mean that you can’t have the yummy foods commonly associated with your holiday meal, but it does mean that you will have to modify where you can, prepare or bring your own foods to eat along with your family and friends, and possibly just say “no” to dessert.

2. Modify and Triage

This is the hardest way to manage a holiday dinner, but it can also be the most satisfying. Although you will be going off plan, you are moderating the damage done. What do I mean?

Stick to plan as best as possible, but with allowances for this one day. For example, instead of your lean chicken breast or cut of pork, you go ahead and a have a modest portion of the Easter ham. Another example, have a devilled egg, but get most of the yolk out (or better yet, make them yourself without all the mayo, etc.), leaving just a taste of it. The egg white portion of course is good to go.

3. Just go ahead, enjoy the meal, and get back on track the next day.

Really, I mean it. Eat as you normally do around the holiday table, and tomorrow, jump back on that weight-loss train with 100% effort! Here is where folks go wrong: don’t eat the leftovers, don’t snack on the carrots tomorrow, don’t nibble on the cake/jello/biscuits/etc. Leave them alone. If you are hosting dinner, great, send all your guests home with goody bags!

Will this holiday eating effect your weight loss for the week? Yes, of course it will. However, it is a good lesson in weight maintenance. Remember, maintaining your weight after you lose it is more important that losing it in the first place. This principle goes back to what I say in class – you should be able to “eat clean” 80% of the time, so that you can have the flexibility to absorb higher calorie days like holiday celebrations the other 20%!

Hope this is helpful and that you have a great day!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: